Fred L. Riggin, Sr.
Year Inducted: 1977
Fred L. Riggin Sr. was called Mr. Golf in Port Huron. While President of the Mueller Brass Company he suggested that the area serving as a picnic ground for Mueller employees be converted to a golf course and was the architect of the first nine holes. Named Mueller Country Club, it was changed to Black River Country Club. The trophy room at BRCC, donated by Riggin, contains cases of trophies won by him in tournaments around the world. He also presented a lounge room to Port Huron Golf Club, where he was a member and past president. In addition to Black River and Prot Huron, Riggin was a member of 22 golf associations. He was one of the organizers of the American Seniors Golf Association. In 1959, he was one of six golfers elected to the American Seniors Golf Association Hall of Fame. Among the other five were former President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Bobby Jones. Riggin was the first president of the National Golf Fund and held that offices for eight consecutive years. During his career he won 48 tournaments and scored many holes-in-one. He was champion at Port Huron Golf Club 11 times, won the St. Clair District Championship four times, was BRCC champion three times, and won the championship twice at Sarnia Golf and Curling Club.